Woodford, St. Mary’s
Parish Church – 1809

The History of Woodford, St. Mary’s Parish Church

INTRODUCTION

The building we know as St Mary’s at Woodford is modern, it was re-dedicated on Saturday 3rd June 1972, but there has been a church on this site for about 800 years. Before that, the community was centred at the east of the parish. The wood by the ford was near the Roman road (Roding Lane North) and the Saxon road along by the River Roding, at the area we now call Woodford Bridge.
This text is about some of the people who have lived in the parish, and the church where they have worshipped, over the last 1,000 years.

(The Introduction above is an extract from a history article written and compiled by Georgina Green. To read the full article, please click the button below)